16 January 2005

Serenity

Today I had two seperate, but equally marvelous experiences when I felt completely alone. The feeling of solitude was incredible. First, Skully and I went over to Centennial Park, and perhaps because of the chill, there was not one other person there. The silence was so peaceful. Well, that nature-y kind of silence with the birds singing, the ducks quacking, the geese honking, and the water babbling. By the time we walked around most of the lake, two other people had shown up, but they stayed on the hill at the very west end of the park, and therefore couldn't ruin the feeling I had. We stood at the edge of the water and watched the ducks for awhile. There was this all-white, super bossy duck that would swim silently up behind another duck, and then loudly QUACK at it. We moved on and went back to the car, but I carried with me that calm feeling for the rest of the day.

Later on tonight, and just for a few minutes during our night time walk, I felt it again. No cars coming up the street, no other people out walking their dogs, just us. Made me start thinking about how cool it would be to be the only person in the world for an entire day. Everyone else could stay at home (unless they are bartenders, cashiers, chefs, or bakers). I could walk the river trail without being run over by kamikaze bicyclists, go grocery shopping without waiting in line or saying "excuse me" 100 times, go to the yarn store without bumping into crabby old ladies...exquisite.

No comments: